We’re always looking at new ways to help software teams with the challenges they face in deploying their application. Once common use case is the large market for software companies whose customers want to self-host or deploy on-prem for a multitude of reasons.
We recently rolled out a new set of functionality on Coherence to help our users deploy a full copy of their application into one of their customer’s cloud accounts. We’re excited to share the story of our first design partner going live with this tool.
Why do software companies’ customers want their own instance or to host a SaaS app in their own cloud account?
- Data ownership and compliance requirements
- Scalability concerns when sharing an instance
- Depending on the SaaS, ability to customize some parts of it
- Ability to control the rate of change, to reduce bugs and to improve ability to train employees on the specific version deployed
- Integration into other “on-prem” systems
What was this team doing before Coherence to manage this use case?
- They were using another provider, Replicated, who specializes in this use case. The challenge for this team was that the overhead of a kubernetes cluster and other cloud resources to manage was creating more challenges than what it was solving for. When it works well it is seamless, but when it requires debugging or maintenance it meant that experts from the team would have to jump in unless the customer has these experts in-house and available to investigate. Often, even when they are operating their own apps on k8s, the experts have a deep queue of other work that this app can’t jump in front of and so the maintenance issues fall back on their own team. Lastly, they found Replicated to be expensive. Our customer had tried this solution and was looking for something lighter weight and easier to use, at least for some deployments.
- Home grown options: Various scripts had been tried to deploy the app in simple configurations on VMs and onto other architectures depending on the cloud and customer in question. None of these were easy to maintain, and they took time to copy and modify for each customer as a new deployment was required. Our customer judged that “building their own” was not the right decision for them.
How can you use Coherence for this use case on your team? Check out the docs here. It’s as simple and fast as a few hours to give your team a self-service deployment capability into any AWS or GCP account, with maintenance and monitoring options built right in. We’ve called this various things: “customer deployments,” “on-prem,” and “own cloud.” What do you call it? In any event, if it’s a problem you’re facing, get in touch with us and we’re happy to show you how we can solve these problems for your projects as well. As a bonus, once you’ve got the app set up on Coherence you can check out our other features to speed up your SDLC and empower your devs: ephemeral preview environments, managed staging and production deployments, integration testing, and team productivity analytics.